Thursday, February 19

There are reasons we don't say "just adulting"

In honor of it being Crank boys-are-stupid music really loudly day, here is my Boys are stupid playlist from an old iPod:
  1. Don't Tell Me - Avril Lavigne
  2. Everything I'm Not - the Veronicas
  3. F You Right Back - Frankee
  4. Us Against The World - Play (old iPod. Promise.)
  5. Irreplaceable - Beyonce
  6. It's OK - Atomic Kitten
  7. Leave (Get Out) - JoJo
  8. Show Stopper - Danity Kane (this is actually a song about cars)
  9. Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
  10. Remember To Forget - Play (okay I have no idea how these get in here, I swear)
  11. Walk Away - Kelly Clarkson (but I must admit, Play's got mad voicing skills)
  12. Don't Cha - Pussycat Dolls
  13. Single - Natasha Beddingfield
  14. L.O.V.E. - Ashlee Simpson (and here I thought it was Nat King Cole's Parent Trap version)
  15. Alone - Avril Lavigne
  16. Losing Grip - Avril Lavigne (she's got a theme going on)
  17. Survivor - Destiny's Child


Despite being every obnoxious pea-size-brained tween girl's dream playlist, these songs from my good immature years really did make me feel better. Who am I kidding? - I'd pick up a hairbrush and rock out to "It's us against the world" any day I'm alone with the windows locked shut and the blinds flipped closed. There are times to man up and take responsibility like a 17-year-old should do, but then there are times to just be a girl. A girl with a scrunchie in her unruly ponytail and ankle socks thick enough for a December night in Tahoe and 99 cent lipgloss from Wallgreens that tastes like blueberry. And as we grow older, opportunities for those times only grew fewer. I would like to see my roommate's face if I turn on "I Must Not Chase the Boys" (yes, still by the infamous Play) and start humming nonchalantly.

So here's to celebrating not only being single, but still being able to call myself a kid. And yet here we are, trying so hard to grow up.

No comments: